Friday, September 11, 2020

Where were you when the world stopped turning?

 September 11, 2001. 


Where were you when the world stopped turning? 


I was in fifth grade. The teachers all cried. When I got home, I turned on the TV and watched it in horror. I didn't completely understand what was happening but I got the gist of it. I heard the news reporters talking about how they were shutting down refineries for safety reasons, and my dad was a welder in an oil refinery 2 hours away. 


I went to my mom for comfort. Her response? To stop being so dramatic. It didn't effect me in anyway, so I should stop making things about me and go do my chores. New York was so far away and no where I would ever find myself, so just HUSH already. It was one of the very first times I was told my emotions didn't matter (second, that I can think of) and I should just shut up. 


To this day, I feel weird talking about September 11th. I feel as if it's "none of my business" and any form of sorrow or upset is just me being dramatic. 


However, my kids are 6, 4, and 2. They've been to the World Trade Center Memorial. They've been to the flight 93 memorial. We've talked about it, in an age appropriate way. We will continue to talk about it, to discuss the emotional side of things, and my children will know that it DOES effect them, because they're Americans and it effects us all. 


Where were you when the world stopped turning? 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts, suggestions, and general "omgs" lol. Except you, Mother.