Sunday, September 20, 2020

Susan and the funeral.

 I was a newly divorced, freshly graduated from college, overworked, surviving on 4-5 hours of sleep a night, and freaking EXHAUSTED 20 year old when my dad's first cousin, who was more of a sister to him, passed away after a long struggle with emphysema. My aunt and dad were very close with the deceased, so I knew I had to pay my respects, and like most "funerals" go, they had a visitation the night before for 5 hours (from 4-9pm) and the next day was the funeral. 


We were also understaffed at work (a busy emergency department that never slept) so I was working 14-16 hour days every other week then the next I'd be doing 14-16 hour nights. I lived an hour from work, so I'd drive 70 miles to work, work for 14-16 hours depending on our case load, drive 70 miles back home, try to sleep, then do it again. 


I was (thankfully) on days when my dad's cousin/sister passed away, so I'd gotten off work, drove to town (60 miles vs 70), changed into a dress and boots at my boyfriend's house, then drive to the funeral home. I'd been there an hour when I couldn't stop yawning, and decided to call it. I was exhausted, I had to work the next day, and I'd spoken to all my family members multiple times. I felt it was okay to leave, and my aunt and great aunt (mother of the deceased) both shooed me out, telling me to go rest. 


But then I ran into Susan in the parking lot. Susan was HATED by the deceased. She hated everything about her. In fact, the deceased's husband had told Susan she wasn't invited to the wake/funeral. Of course, Susan gives zero shits about anybody but Susan, so she did what she wanted. She was carrying two $5 hot and ready pizzas. 


She stopped dead in her tracks "Where are you going? Why did you wear that, you look like a whore! DO you want pizza, I brought your brother some because he was hungry." 


I told her that my knee length sweater dress and knee high boots were fine, I was going home to sleep, and no, I didn't think pizza in a funeral home was appropriate. 


Then I got a 25 minute lecture on how my dad will resent me for the rest of my life for not being there for him during his time of need and I was tacky, stupid, and had zero empathy. 


Says the woman who was taking two freaking PIZZAS into a funeral she wasn't invited to. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts, suggestions, and general "omgs" lol. Except you, Mother.