Thursday, January 10, 2019

The Momversations: Meal Planning

I've been meal planning, with a few off weeks to eat off freezer and pantry staples, since April. I generally cook 5-6 times a week, and eat out once or twice, depending on the week and what we have going on (and the fact my kids LOVE eating out, and the older two have been practicing ordering their own food). I'm of the personal opinion that eating out occasionally is nothing detrimental and is good socialization, especially for a stay at home mother and a herd of small, younger than school age children.

Anyway, back to meal planning. It's going well. I tend to save a lot of money and a lot of stress by sitting down and writing down what we're going to eat that week. Even if we skip a day, I'll roll it to the next week. My kids are the least picky kids on the planet, so we're not very limited by them. I do simple lunches and snacks, and a large supper.

After I get my meal plan wrote down, I then go to the internet to figure out what's on sale. Whatever is not on sale at my local grocer (we travel often so that changes, but Ingle's, Albertson's, and Kroger have been good to me) I do grocery pickup from Walmart. (If you have never done grocery pickup, you're missing out. You can order whatever you want, the minimum is just $30. You pull right up to the pickup area, and never leave your car. The pickup associates bring it to you, and load it. They've been really great about giving me the longest dated meat and amazing veggies so far. If you've never participated in pickup, and want $10 off a pickup of $50 or more, you can use my code-  http://r.wmt.co/hUYIg)

Then, I do pickup at Sam's on the things I find are cheaper in bulk (I enjoy Member's Mark formula, and their breakfast items are much cheaper) to name a few. Finally, I make a list of what's on sale at the local grocer and the few Costco only items I purchase and make plans to go to those stores.

I spent about $150 a week on weekly items from the grocery store and Walmart and $100 every two weeks from Sam's and Costco (that includes formula, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies...). I'm not the most frugal, but for me it's quite a narrowed down budget.

Do you meal plan? What's on this week's menu? Please let me know in the comments!





1 comment:

  1. I was wondering about the pickup services. I think if I did use it I could save about 40 to 50 dollars. My teen is always tossing her whatnots in my basket as I'm looking through the veggies & fruit. That child is expensive! I love meal planning. Ou interested in seeing what's on ur plan with little one. I also have a 3 and 5yr old that are not very picky.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your thoughts, suggestions, and general "omgs" lol. Except you, Mother.